Monday, March 6, 2017

Not At Liberty To Share: SOLSC day 6




Join us at Two Writing Teachers for the Slice of Life Story Challenge. 









Have you ever had a day when you knew exactly what your slice needed to be but you weren't at liberty to share?   Not yet...

Well, then you can imagine how I am feeling right now.

It started when I felt the haptic tap of my Apple watch during my first morning read aloud.

The text said, "Can we talk at your plan time?"

I felt the full furnace blast starting in the pit of my stomach and rising rapidly.

I stilled myself.  I knew it was coming.

I even had a pretty good idea what it was.

I just didn't expect it to come like this.

I had to calm myself, I had to return my state of mind to where I was just a few minutes prior.

I can't do anything now.  I have to wait until my plan time, five hours away.

I forced myself to focus on the 26 seven-year-olds in front of me.

They're what truly matters now.

Everything else will have to wait!

I walked into the meeting, she smiled, "Just take a deep breath."

Yep, here it is, just as I predicted.

Now, I am pondering what it will be like.

What I will need to do to prepare.

I wonder how it will feel?

Is it me?

12 comments:

  1. Such mystery, and yet a complete slice nonetheless. I can't remember this happening to me, but the way you craft each short sentence into its own line, creates the suspense that makes me feel like it is happening to me, too. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever it is, I know you will figure it out. You always do!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I want to know more! You create so much tension and drama and build suspense beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much mystery!!!

    I hope that eventually there is a follow-up to this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. Why do those words cause so much emotion in us that all other rationale thinking comes to a halt??? I could so feel how you felt when you described the blast furnace starting. Hopefully, it all went well and you were able to breath a sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cryptic and full of drama! I love it! This post is like a riddle. I would love to write something like this for fifth graders to create some buzz about an upcoming unit or some big, special, tough kind of work. Thanks so much for sharing. I will "stay tuned" in hopes of a continuance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done bringing us into the moment with you. I can't wait to hear the full story. Good luck...I think? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have definitely hooked me!

    We are there with you, yet kept at bay. Such mystery...I can't wait until you are at liberty to share!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow! You really left us hanging! Can't wait to hear what you aren't at liberty to share. Or maybe we never will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm . . . I am imagining a number of possibilities. Looking forward to when you can share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will figure this out, you've been called for a reason and change is good. I know, easier said at first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm intrigued! I love how you've crafted this poem. I look forward when you are able to share. I know you can handle whatever this is!

    ReplyDelete