Thursday, June 14, 2018

Are Your Students ready to Blog?


Getting our students set up with blogging is more than opening up an account on a blogging platform.  For years my students blogged.  I taught them how to sign in, to type in the box, to change fonts and colors, add pictures, and even how to comment and reply to a comment. 

Did you notice anything missing?  I didn't either.  Not until I started supporting teachers on their journey of becoming bloggers.  Teachers were wondering about the basic navigation I shared above, but the teachers I work with were thinking deeper about blogging as a genre and how to set students up to be authentic bloggers. 


I was asked questions like:

  • What will they blog about?
  • When will they bog?
  • How can I fit blogging into out writing workshop?
  • How will students get comments?
  • How do we connect with other bloggers?
  • What's safe to share? 
I was relieved to hear teachers thinking beyond the basic navigation of blogging.  I knew I had work to do.  I  gathered the fabulous literacy coaches I work with, Carrie Higgenbotham and Julie Johnson and we set to work talking about blogging. Armed with questions and new ways of thinking about blogging I buckled down to work preparing a PD session, Setting Students Up for Successful Blogging. 

Click to view slideshow


Read More on my posts on Two Writing Teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment