Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Putting Myself In A Student's Shoes: SOLSC Day 7

For the month of March, I'll be writing with all you in the Slice of Life community.  Disclaimer:  I'll be writing every day so the writing will be raw and a bit messy most days. 


*Note- Today I put into practice what I have told students to do numerous times, "If  you don't know what to write, write about that." So, today I wrote about not knowing what write about. 

Today is a day when I can empathize with writers who write in classrooms, on someone else’s schedule. Knowing I have to write right now halts my thoughts and leaves my mind and my paper blank. 

Today I was invited to write my slice alongside a first-grade class in one of my buildings.  Students sit all around me pencils scratching paper. I know from a brief mid-workshop share most are writing about a movie they recently saw and a few about a game they played at recess.  

Still, I sit here blank, what will come next on my page is yet to be seen.  Ironically, I am grateful for the struggle I feel.  Understanding these challenges is why I am a teacher who writes. Knowing, no FEELING the challenges student face helps me to be a better teacher.

Today’s write right now demands on top of I don’t know what to write about, mixed with all the tapping pencils, students sounding out words, and the distractions of small conversations and people in hall allow me to experience all the off-task triggers students face all day.

I am an adult. I am a writer. And I am distracted. It’s taking every bit of my self-control right now not to look up to see who’s clapping in the hall, who’s tapping their pencil, and who’s talking. But I keep my head down letting these words fall to my paper until the music stops.



4 comments:

  1. What an honest and important reminder!
    We do ask a lot of our students and should appreciate their earnest efforts, and understand the times they just can't be productive.
    You details of sounds really supported your piece. I was getting antsy just reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teachers don't do this enough. Good for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this! It is so important for us to be aware of how difficult it is to focus in the school environment. Your noise details are all so accurate. It is almost impossible for me to focus on my writing at school. I need silence. I don't know how to create that for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you can't think of what to write, those distractions sure are magnified. We need to walk in the shoes of a student more often. Thank you, Deb, for sharing your walk in those shoes with us today.

    ReplyDelete