Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The Final 45 Minutes: SOLSC Day 8

Today, I promised myself I would leave school by four o'clock.  I have been at the final 45 minutes on my audible book,  Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult for two days and I HAD to finish the book!  I had planned to finish listening yesterday while I drove to an appointment.  Then, at the last minute, my husband's schedule cleared and we drove to the appointment together. ( This should have been a good thing, right?)  I am sure Ruth and Kennedy did not appreciate me leaving them hanging for an entire 48 hours. I just couldn't find 45 minutes of uninterrupted time.

All day I felt Ruth and Kennedy begging me to return and tie up loose ends.  I left my character friends in a very delicate spot.  So today when my class went to special an hour and a half before dismissal I tidied the room, set out books and tools for tomorrow, and checked emails.  I was determined to leave by 4 o'clock!

Finally, the bell rings, the room is empty, and I decide to check one last detail.  Three opinions, two emails, one last conversation and one hour later I was finally out the door, 30 minutes later than planned, but on my way none the less!

As soon as I hopped in the car, I turned on Small Great Things and headed to the drive through of one of my favorite coffee shops.  I ordered a coffee, put my phone and watch on "Do Not Disturb," and took a long way home.  (This took a lot of rerouting, my school is literally seven minutes from my house!) It was a sunny afternoon and feeling the heat of the sun coming in the windows, the warmth of my heated seats, and a warm coffee, I was feeling great!

I listened carefully, replayed, and marked clips as the author and characters scattered about the pages tying up loose ends.  I wasn't disappointed.  The words of the story, my coffee, and my drive all ended at the same time.  It was beautiful, the story, the warm drive, and my time with my friends, Kennedy and Ruth.

If you haven't read (or listened to) Small Great Things, by Jodi Picoult---small great things await you!

3 comments:

  1. I don't even know where you live, but I envisioned winding, wet roads paved with towering trees. I wanted to be in the car with you! It's funny how that 10-20 minutes drive home in peace is such an escape. I seriously use it to decompress and purposely wont take calls. Sometimes I purposely take the long route, too. :) Thanks for sharing. I want to check out the read, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely...and I totally get the moments of joy in our cars. I can feel the warmth of all things you describe, and it makes me a little jealous. It looks like I have a book to discover over Spring Break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delightful. I can picture you driving and driving. It made me laugh too, I'd be walked be walking and walking.

    ReplyDelete