Saturday, March 17, 2018

Juxtaposition: March Madness and a Desired Respite


March Madness cheering, shoes squeaking, and the announcer's excitement overwhelmed my senses as we ate dinner.  Then the phone rang, and a memory of a much-desired respite came to mind.

From the moment my doctor said, "Let's have a baby this weekend."  This baby was ready!  My husband and I arrived at the hospital at 10:30 am as directed.  By 12:07 pm I was holding our second daughter. 

Liv was born with strong lungs, and she exercised them regularly for the first two months of her life.  No matter what we tried, Livi cried!  I was desperate for sleep, and one night I handed her over to my husband, "She's dry and full, and I need sleep.  Do what you can I am going to bed."

Later I feel my husband slip into bed, I woke with a start, "Where is she?" I expected him to be handing her over to me; retiring in defeat.  Instead, he whispered, "She's in the bassinet, go back to sleep."

The next day I learned Liv loved watching March Madness with daddy.  He held her high on his shoulder and rocked her in the glider while they watched basketball.  Liv fell fast asleep, and I had sweet dreams.

This respite wasn't a one and done.  Liv and her daddy continued to watch March Madness together.  Liv didn't cry, and each time she fell into a comfortable slumber.  To this day they share this memory, and when she's home, they take in a game or two together.

She's away at school tonight, but she just called her daddy for a quick little chat!

Join us at Two Writing Teachers for the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. 



4 comments:

  1. What a great post! It warms my heart to know that a ritual started when a newborn baby's mom needed rest, continues to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this post! I especially loved the ending when your daughter called her dad. But I'm heartbroken during this March Madness. I'm a UVA alum. What a PAINFUL game!!!! :( haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! I love that something that was started with a little baby was kept as a part of their life! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the introduction and set up to this slice and how it slowly reveals itself. You had me engaged and smiling. I was also thinking.. good for you for saying you're going to sleep and doing a hand off which resulted in this amazing bond between daughter and dad.

    ReplyDelete