Monday, March 12, 2018

I Woke Up Without An Alarm: SOLSC Day12



For the month of March, I'll be writing with all you in the Slice of Life community.  Disclaimer:  I'll be writing every day so the writing will be raw and a bit messy most days.


The time change can throw things off a bit but today, the time change threw things right out the window! 

I knew I was in trouble the minute I woke up without an alarm clock. I opened my eyes, and I saw daylight coming in around the blind! This can't be good.  I reached for my phone; it should be dark out not BROAD daylight.  My eyes opened even wider when the screen displayed 07:40! 

"Oh, no!" I yelled, waking my husband, "It's 7:40 and I have an 8 o'clock meeting!"  I sprung from the bed and ran to the shower as my husband pulled the blankets up and went right back to sleep. (Of course, I felt a tinge of jealousy.)

Just before getting in the shower, I texted the teacher I planned to meet with and told her I would not be able to make our meeting.  I washed and shampooed quickly, no time to enjoy the heat of the water or envision the day ahead. Instead, my shower was spent worrying about having overslept and my irresponsibility of missing a meeting with a teacher. 

Finally, jumping out of the shower I grabbed a quick and easy outfit, dried my hair, and just I started to apply my make up I reached for my phone to check the time.  I noticed I had a message but decided I was too late to get caught up in texting. It would just have to wait. 

I dried my hair, barely, pulled it up and called it done.  Now,  all I needed was to grab my bookbag and dash out the door.  

As I sat in traffic, I decided to check my message.  Whew, it was from the teacher I should've been meeting with, and it said, "Oh, thank goodness! I also overslept, and won't be able to make our meeting!"

Breathing a sigh of relief, I decided to pull in to Starbucks.  I opened the mobile app to order; today was not a grande kind of day, today demanded a Venti. It was the Monday morning after daylight savings time.  

That's when I realized the day was far from reset.  My app balance was $2.09! What? No coffee? I was sure today was going to be a rough day.  Then, I noticed I had rewards; I tapped the button on the app releasing my rewards. I am not sure who was happier, Starbucks or me.  The app danced, released balloons, stars, and glitter!  My coffee was on Starbucks! 

What it about free coffee?  It just tastes better. 

5 comments:

  1. What a morning! Thank goodness for Starbucks and your well-deserved free cup! I hope the rest of your day was as full of confetti and balloons moments. Smiles! S.Miles

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hard start to the morning! How nice that you got an unexpected pleasant surprise. Your writing made me feel the tension of waking up late. I'm practicing my deep breathing now to remind myself that school is over for the day and I'm not late. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a crazy morning! Glad that Starbucks came through for you. :) Hope the rest of the day went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And a venti at that! I'm glad the story had a happy ending--coffee always makes it better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dancing, balloons, stars, glitter, AND free coffee? What a great turn-around for your morning! :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete