We are well on our way to using VoiceThread (VT) as easily as pencil and paper in our room! Kids view VoiceThreads regularly, parents, siblings and students comment from home and two students have asked to put their work on VT to share with parents. I think we are ready for the big step…student log in with password! Up until this point we have been able to work under one free account. The next step does require a paid account. The paid account provides each student with his or her own login and password. Students will be able to login from home, create new VT's and share with your group, and you will be able to moderate comments if you choose.
I have set up a few things to support kids, parents and myself before we learn to login as individual users.
- First, I posted a chart in our room where I can display student avatars and web addresses. (Thank you @MrsCarolynCarr for the cute and purposeful idea)
- Create a password resource you and the kids can refer to quickly when login information is needed.
- For younger kids I recommend adding student avatars, older kids can do this as they login.
- Create a group for your class, add your class to the group and Share a VT with the group. (This will give kids VT's to browse and comment on once they are logged on.)
- Help kids and parents login from home, I created mailing labels to place in our family folders. These labels have student user name, password, a QR code to VT, web address and a picture of our school avatar.
Now add kids!
- Gather an extra set of hands if you can. I asked a parent volunteer to come in on this afternoon. Having extra hands is nice but not necessary.
- A few "techexperts" will pop up in your group and they are always happy to help their friends.
- Students (you know your kids best) can add avatars as they login. Remember avatars will need to be JPG files to upload in VT.
- Allow kids to browse and comment on VT's you have shared with their group.
I also plan to hold a Parent Tech Night next week to support parents in using VT from home.
- Parents will login, comment, and create in VT's
- Learn tech safety and etiquette
The next step will be for the kids to create VoiceThreads!